Friday 18 February 2011

A visit

Will be meeting up with a Central Office expert on Professional Learning on Monday. Hopefully we will be able to get some support for what we are trying to do at our school.
This made me think about what I would like to say to such a person.
I guess I would start with a history of how we have developed Professional Learning.
It started in 2006 after a colleague and I went to a system-wide Professional Learning series of workshop and we came up with the idea of having mini Action plans for all staff.
This was taken up by the Principal and support. Each teacher would try one new thing in the year and report on it during their end-of-year evaluation with the Principal.
The Principal decided that what he was hearing was so good that other teachers should be hearing it as well and so the first Professional Learning Teams (PLTs) were born. It was decided that all teachers would be in a team of 6-8, and that they would be run by the Principal, the Deputy or myself. I had the privilege of leading four teams and they consisted of Middle school teachers -either Language/Arts or Science/Maths.
We met and shared different aspects of our teacher: including how we assess students, moderation of student work and teaching.
It was stilted though - we had decided on the teams, not the teachers.
More tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment